There is no better feeling than that moment when you step out into the warm sun and realize it’s summer. With the summer sun shining down on you, it just seems like every little thing is going to be alright. It’s a proven fact that exposure to natural sunlight allows your skin to produce vitamin D, a vital nutrient for your body that increases happiness and well-being. Get in the sun this summer! Play at the beach, conquer that hike, or enjoy a fun BBQ. Whatever your summer adventures consist of, make sure you’re outside!
The sun seems like our best friend, but always remember that there are some harmful side effects that come along with it. Too much time in the sun can cause the skin to burn, dry out or can even be a cancer risk. In order to stay safe this summer, here are some fun in the sun tips to keep in mind:
1. 1. Apply sunblock/sunscreen. What’s the difference? – Sunblock acts as a wall between your skin and the sun and reflects the UVB light. Sunscreen protects your skin by absorbing the UV rays and allows a range of UV light to be absorbed into the skin. Choose the one that is a better choice for your skin type.
2. 2. Shade, Shade, Shade. Give your body and skin a rest. Take some time to sit under a tree or umbrella and cool off!
3. 3. Eat fresh. Fill your day up with fresh fruits, vegetables, and drinks to keep you upbeat and energized!
4. 4. Hydrate. 8 glasses a day keeps the body awake! And in the sun, make that 10. Water allows your body and skin to stay refreshed while keeping the brain alert.
5. 5. Don’t be afraid to cover up. There is nothing wrong with wearing long sleeves on a hike or donning a cute tank dress over your swimsuit to protect your skin against the suns harmful rays.
6. 6. Hat of your choice. A floppy straw hat. A baseball cap. A visor. Any accessory that provides your head some shade from the sun will go a long way. It can also be a very fashionable accessory to spice up your outfit!
7. 7. Post-sun moisturizer. Your skin deserves a little pampering after a long day in the sun. Revitalize and sooth skin after a day in the sun with moisturizing lotion.
Make the most of the sunny weather and stay healthy!